Sunday, August 3, 2008

Seven Oaks MTB Race (my HTFU moment)

Another weekend of many coming up of mountain bike racing, this one will hopefully be the one to get all my problems out and I can get back to some good racing. For those of you not in the loop, last year before cross season Ang got me a wristband that Team CSC used in the tour, that read Harden The F@*k Up (HTFU). All last season and this season I have been wearing it at races and it gives my that little motivation I need to make sure I always finish no matter what, (well unless I get pulled).

So this weeks story is my example of that. Got there early as a friend of mine was doing the beginner race and we went to watch him and cheer him on. He finished 2nd place! When they got done I had just over an hour till my start, so I went out to do some of the course. Once again I went farther than I wanted to and had to try and find a way back to the start so I didn't miss that. Got there with plenty of time to spare this week! Start was about a 1/2 mile gravel road to try and break up the group since there was about 30 or so of us. Got into the woods in about 5th place siting really good, and just start going at my own pace once I get into the single track, well about 2 miles in I notice my rear tire is feeling a little soft, crap a flat, and of course I don't have any way to repair it (don't carry any), so I decided to just continue on and see how it goes. Well the course is basically just a set of switchbacks up and then down the side of a few different larger hills, so a lot of elevation change on the course, I had heard something like 1800 feet per lap, but that seems a little high, but might be close for the 8 mile loop. So now it is decision time, do I try and continue on one good tire, and one that I can still go up and down just fine, but any side hill stuff just isn't going to happen to easily. I decide to see how long it takes to complete that lap and how many places I loose before the finish line. I lost maybe 5 places in the next 6 miles, and knew there were more out there, so I then decided to keep going. I make it up to Ang and the boys, and she sees the flat and asks if I was done, and said no, I will try and keep going, she says I am nuts, and I go on my way. As I cross the start finish line there were some people around and Ang made it over there, and they all comment about the tire, and she says that I am leading the points series, so I was going to at least try and continue.

Lap 2, I somehow missed the kids and my feed zone, so I was still only on my 1st bottle, and it was getting low quickly. I get almost to the same spot as last lap, and realize that I now have a flat in the front as well. So this is my HTFU moment! I decide I am no where that I can get out since I don't know the trails, and I was going to continue on 2 flat tires now. I had another guy pass me, and he commented on it as well, but I just kept going. I get about a mile, and have no control over the front end of my bike, and now I see the tire has actually began to come off the rim, so I stop, take the tire off, and throw it on my back, and ride with just the rim. I know it will probably damage the rim, but that is a chance I am willing to take. Another guy that also passed me said I made him feel really bad since he had a fully functional bike and I was almost beating him with 2 flats, was hurting pretty bad, and I could always see him in front of me, but could never catch him. I did finally pass him about 2 miles from the end, and never saw him again. Since I had missed the feed zone I came up to a guy taking pictures, and asked if he had some water, he had just a little bit, but that was enough to keep me from cramping, and make it to the finish. I see Ang in the woods about 5 minutes away from the end, (well with a good working bike, longer with my flats) and she had my other bottle, so I grabbed that and she made some comment to me, I just kept going. She runs over to the finish, grabs Rick (our friend) and says he needs to see how I am coming across the line, he thinks two flats, and she says, well yeah, but he is just riding the rim on the front. I came across the line almost 2 and 1/2 hours after starting my 16 mile death march, completely exhausted, but I finished, and that was all I wanted. I got some props from just about everyone there at the end, and I am sure they all thought I was nuts, but like I said, I was never going to quit. Believe it or not, the front rims is perfectly true, and I didn't see any major dents in it, the rear I haven't closely inspected, but will do that soon and see the damages. I think what kept the front from any major damage is the fact that it is full of mud and sand, so it made it pretty solid.

So all in all it was a good day, I got some good cyclocross training in with having to run up most of the hills, and I finished. Ended up taking 6th place in the Sport Open category and got some more points to increase my lead in the IMBCS Series. There were so many people that dropped out due to flats it was insane, most I have ever seen at a race.


IMBCS #6 Boone

No comments: