Monday, August 11, 2008

Night at the Oval 8-5-08

This was to be my 1st Oval that I raced in the A Race, I knew going int oit that there was no chance of winning since we have quite a few strong Cat 3's and such that were there. I set a goal of not getting lapped in any of the races, so that was obtainable.

First race a a 10 lap scratch race, and right from the go there were some atacks, and I was just trying to cover them so I didn't get shot off the back, but the speed and power that these guys have is incredible, so I was in the 2nd group. At one point I thought I could bridge across, and came up about 10 seconds short, and knew it wasn't going to happen, so I sat up and waited for the next group to catch me again. Sat in and tried to recover, and decided to just wait for the final sprint. Well that is still not a strong point for me, but I did come across the line in 11th place out of 13, so not last.

Second race was a 15 lap points race, and I knew that with only points going to the top 4 every three laps I would have to hope for a good finish. Even though I wasn't sprinting for anything I had to go all out just to be able to stay with the group while they sprinted. That went on like that intil the final lap which I was toast by then and came across in 12th place.

Third was an 8 lap scratch race, and I did better here. Made sure to keep an eye on the right guys, and even threw in an attack myself, but that didn't get me anywhere, but I did come across in 19th place that time.

Then there was 2 spiral of death races, basically one lap on the 1/2 mile track, one on the 1/4 mile track and then one on the 1/8 mile track, well I was so out of it by then that I would just settle for finishing, got 12th in the 1st one, then we went the opposite direction, and I got 11th in that one.

Overall a good learning experience of covering the right attacks, and when to go and when not to, so hopefully that will pay off when we go back on the 19th for the final Oval of the year.

No comments: