Monday, August 11, 2008

IMBCS #7

Lake Ahquabi just south of Indianola, out by Des Moines. We got there with plenty of time to do a lap to get a feel for the course. Rick showed up right after we did, so after getting registered, we headed out for a lap. The whole course was double track, with 4 decent climbs, including one that had railrod ties to help with water run off. Felt pretty good on teh pre-ride, most of the course could be done in the big ring, so that was how I was going to race it.

First lap, I hole-shotted again and was first into the woods, most of the other courses that was important so you don't get stuck in a pile-up in the single track, but today was different, so I really didn't need to, but still did. Within the first mile a few guys got past me as I sat in to a pace that I could hold for the duration of the ride. Got through lap one with no problems, except a missed feed zone again, which they met me at another spot where I could grab the bottle.

Second lap, I was able to catch up to a couple guys, and ride pretty much with them, and even caught our first expert rider who went out 5 minutes before us. I did something wrong at some point because the other guys took off and I could never regain any ground on them. I got my feed zone that time too, so all was good.

Third lap I was totally in a zone just turning the pedals over at a constant pace trying to not lose any ground, but wasn't gaining any either. I could see a couple guys behind me at one point but just kept going. I caught another expert about 1/2 way through this lap. I somehow though made a wrong turn, and realized it about 20 second late, which allowed the other 2 guys to catch up to me, so now it was all out to try and reel them back in. I got back on the one guys wheel, and he asked if I was taking a shortcut, and I told him no I missed the corner. Passed him right before the railroad tie climb, and got on the other guys wheel going up the climb, well he was spinning away in the granny gear, and I only have 2 front chainrings, so no real granny gear to speak of, so I had to try and pace intil I could pass, got almost to the top and could go around him, and never looked back. A couple more ups and downs, then a big down to the finish, which had a nice drop off from the parking lot to the line, and I decided to jump it since it was over anyways. There will be pics of that I am sure sometime soon.

I did finish in 5th Place for the Sport Open, which keeps me in the lead for now, but 2nd place in the series is closing in on me, so time will tell how that plays out.

Here are pictures, they include a bunch of other people.

IMBCS #7 Indianola

No comments: