Thursday, August 7, 2008

Ang takes the blame!

(This is Angy writing...I'm posting this over here because it's more related to Keith's biking than my blog and our family life.)

Alright, so I feel really really bad about what happened to Keith on Sunday at the MTB race. I know I had nothing to do with his double flatting, but I had a big to do with his dehydration and serious cramping afterwards! The plan was to meet him at the top of the ski hill for the feed zone, but I got totally distracted when I first saw him in the woods with a flat tire. I ran to the finish line to see if he wanted to keep going or what. After he decided to keep going, there wasn't enough time to run over to the ski hill to give him the new bottle. I did run down the road to see him again, but he was so far away and couldn't hear me, and even then I was only cheering him on, didn't realize I still had his bottle in my hands. After he disappeared into the woods there was no way to find him again. The poor guy filled up his bottle from the creek to get some water! And then he did find a spectator out in the woods somewhere who had a little bit of water on him. Thank you to him for sharing!! By the time I saw Keith again it was only a very short distance to the finish. I gave him his bottle, but it was too late the damage was done, and he had it downed by the finish line. It took him forever to finish the race, and I know the double flats caused the most problems, but if he had more energy (aka bottle) he would have been able to go a bit more. Sitting at the finish line he got cold sweats and drank probably 3 more bottle of water. We walked back to the car and then the cramp set in. His calf muscle cramped up so bad! Luckily it didn't happen in the woods. Glad I was able to help ease it by a massage, but still wasn't pretty! So from now on, water is the first priority!!! Pictures and everything else comes afterwards! Also I'm going to remember to carry extra water with me in case I run into a biker out there who needs it. Let's hope we never have another race like this one!! Well, he did finish, so that's pretty hardcore of him!

No comments: