Saturday, July 26, 2008

Thanks Jason Road Race

I was asked Thursday night on the group ride if I was going to make it to the road race this weekend, not knowing anything about it I told them I would see what we had going on and I would try and be there. After thinking about it for a day I decided I would go for it and see if I could help the team out, as I knew I had no chance of winning. It is a smaller race, so you usually get less than 20 people show up, and all categories go at the same time. While we were warming up a plan was made to try and cover all the attacks with the lower Cat guys so when we got closer to the finish the higher Cat guys could have a chance at the win. We start off at a pretty mellow pace, about 2 miles in a few attacks go off the front, but nothing sticks, I get off the front and cover as much as I can. We all regroup and an attck goes off with about 6 or so guy, 3 of them being HBA guys, I was going to go with them, but Carson said not to worry about it, and just sit in with this other group. So now we are the second group on the road, all is going well until Carson launchs an attack that I just couldn't hold onto and I was shot off the back. I did all I could to get back on the group, but never was able to get with them, we hit the turn around point and I knew there was no way to get back on, I tried, but after a mile or so I decided it was pointless. I did have 2 people behind me, so after being alone for 5 miles I knew it would be easier with another person to share the work, so I slowed a little to let the next guy catch me. The next 7 or so miles we took turns working together to make it to the end, and we were getting towards the finish line, and he takes off for I, so I tuck in behind him and just sit there waiting for him to burn out before the line, or be able to jump when need be. Turns out he went too early and I could see the line, so I get out of the saddle and go for it, and by then he had wasted all he had, so it was a pretty easy finish for me. Not sure what place I ended up in, but HBA took 1,2,3, and 5 so it was a very good showing for the team.

No comments: