Sunday, May 4, 2008

Ingawanis MTB Race

Second race in the IMBCS (Iowa Mountain Bike Championship Series) Showed up with plenty of time before the start of the beginners race so I could get registered and do a lap before they raced so I kinda knew the course. Was not feeling into today during the pre-ride or leading up to the race either. Got to the line and was on the front, looking back I could see about 50 people ready to start the sport race, first though was I needed to be in the front of the bunch before hitting the woods or I would be stuck in the back and have to fight my way through traffic. From the line to the singletrack was just over 1/4 mile and had a short climb, the race started, I took off and ended up first into the woods which isn't exactly where I wanted to be because I was sure there were people there that would be a little faster than me, but I was able to hold the lead for almost 1/3 of the lap. A few guys got by me, and I let them go since they were obviously faster. Got into my groove and just kept pedaling trying to keep a constant speed through all 3 laps. I did catch another guy on the second lap and passed him, but other than that not really much changing of position through out the rest of the race. Came across the line after the last lap not know how I did, or how far back I was, but I figured somewhere in the top 10. It took a little while for the rest of the expert class to finish up and for them to get results done, but that ok there was some food there to eat, so we had a couple plates of pasta, some fruit cups, and some apples while waiting. The results weren't posted until after they did awards, so we all gathered around for that, they did the experts first, then they started on the sport classes, got to the class I was in and it turns out I took 2nd Place in the Sport Open class, freakin sweet. I ended up picking up a pair of sunglasses that the lenses change to adapt to changing light conditions, damn nice prize. So all in all the race went well even though I wasn't feeling it at the start at all, and didn't expect much else but to finish.

IMBCS #2 Camp Igawanis

1 comment:

Buckshot77 said...

Damn, that looks like a nice course. The singletrack down here is TIGHT compared to that. The guy in the black Rassmussen's kit in the one picture is my buddy Steve Fuller.