Sunday, April 27, 2008

Old Capitol Crit

After yesterday and going to bed last night with snow showers in the forecast today wasn't looking to promising.  Thankfully the weatherman was wrong, and the skies were blue and the temps were creeping up into the 50's, not as nice as last year but nice.  They had the Cat 5's and the Collegiate D's racing at the same time, so the field was quite large, over 30 starters and I was on the 2nd row of them.  Got going and was in about 10th at the bottom of the climb, kept that place for a little bit, then an attack on the 2nd lap and I was sitting on the front of the second pack with a few guys between us and the lead group.  Kept a pretty good pace going, never was able to catch the front guys, but picked up a few that got shot off the back of them.  5 laps into it and I was on my own for a lap, and realized without anyone around me I was doing all the work, so I let a few guys catch me since the front group was nowhere in sight.  Worked with a few for the next couple of laps and with one to go it was time to get on it, so coming up to the final climb I was sitting 3rd or 4th and just got on it and opened a little gap in the field, and never looked back, sprinted coming out of the last turn and took 7th Place in the Cat 5's and 10th overall with the Collegiate Racers.  We did almost crash on either the 2nd to last lap or the last lap when one of the guys leaned to far over in the climb and pushed another guy into me, and the 3 of us were basically leaning on each other keeping us upright, kinda scary, but rubbings racing right?

Old Capital Crit

No comments: