Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Night at the Oval

Hawkeye Downs Cedar Rapids, IA 1/2 mile paved oval used for stock cars on weekends.

Wasn't sure what to expect going into this race after Kent Park. this one is a different format than other races, they have all categories race at the same time, but the turnout is usually 15-30 racers, so smaller, but more relaxed it seems. First race was a 6 lap race and I took 8th place in that one, 2nd was an 8 lap points race and I took 8th in that one as well. Next was a first and out, which basically means if you win the lap you are done and get points based on which lap you win, so I just sat on the first couple laps knowing I had no chance against some of the guys, then I tried again on the next few and just came up short, so finally on the 7th lap I started the sprint before the last corner and was able to hold it all the way to the line and take 7th place. The last 2 races of the night were a granny gear race and a big gear race, which I took 7th and 6th place respectively, the granny gear race was probably the hardest thing I have done, riding in my 39-25 at almost 20mph for 1/2 mile was rough.

Took 5th place overall based on points and 1st Place in the Cat 5's.

See photos here:

NatO

1 comment:

Buckshot77 said...

The oval sounds like fun.