Sunday, November 30, 2008

Jingle Cross Day 2

Woke up to about 2" of the white stuff one the ground, woohoo cross in the snow. Trying to get everything ready realizing that the roads might be crappy we were thinking we might miss the start of the Juniors Race for Salem, but nope the roads were clear, and we made it with about 40 minutes to spare.

Called up to the line with just a few minutes to go so we could all stay warm, was back on the front row, only issue was the snow was so wet that it would fill your shoes when you got off the bike, not good. Got started pretty good, was in the top 5 or so at the barriers, and then came the run-up, pretty good sized one, not as long as yesterdays, but steeper, and with the conditions it was a task to try and get up it. Once you hit the top you come across the hill for about 100 yards, all off camber, and very slippery, we had guys going down all over the place, I was able to get back on the bike after a little bit and ride some of the hill, but wasn't clipped in. Finally got back in after a stretch of flat ground, but lost a few spots. Into the WhoVille Whirl to get dizzy, then the sand pit which was a traffic jam, then out into the field for a few log crossings, which I found later to be rideable. After the first lap I was sitting in 15th or so.

Second lap I was trying to make up some time on the finishing staright from lap one, and came into the corner way to fast, and down I went, thankfully since it was snow I slid, but still ended up with a little bit of road rash on my knee and hip. Loosing about 5 places there sucked, so now to play catch up. Made it back onto their wheels by the time we hit the hill run up, and once again made my way up that and rode back down the other side, this time not picking up many spots. I knew it would be fastest if I could try and stay clipped in the whole rest of the lap so I didn't loose time trying to get the snow out of my cleats, so rode the logs and was able to stay in the same position as I was the whole lap.

3rd and final lap there was still a group of 3 right in front of me, made it to the hill with them, and a couple of them ran it faster than me, so I went to a realy high line once I got up there and was able to ride basically the whole hill, and able to put some time into them which was very valuable. I finally got clipped back in and could see 2 guys ahead of me. Going into the sand pit there was nobody in front of me so I could fly right through it, and made up some time on the back field. Going into the switchback building I could see the 2 guys right in front of me by one switchback, one guy pushed it too hard coming out of it and went down, but quickly got back up, so I was right on his wheel at this point. Tried to shift into my big ring for the sprint to the finish, but shifting wasn't much of an option, so I ran it through all my gears in the little ring and spun it out for all I had, but just wasn't enough as he got me by 1/2 a bike lenght.

Finished 14th out of 42 today, another good finish. Now 2 weeks off and its off to the National Championships in Kansas City, MO.

Here is the video from Day 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJ0JenVN-Wk



JCR - day 2 Keith, Jason and Chris

No comments: