Sunday, November 2, 2008

Iowa State Cross Championships

Yesterday found us heading to Altoona to a new venue for cross this year. There has been maps online for the course with changes just this past week, but looking at them and seeing the actual course were slightly different, there was supposed to be a long grinding uphill, which I was somewhat excited about since I have my bike geared down a little lower than most, so I was looking forward to just spinning up it and catching people, but the hill wasn't that long.

To start of off they decided to head to the bottom of the final paved climb since after the parking lot at the top we shoot left onto a gravel section, and they didn't want 34 of us going full speed in a pack at that point. I was in the front row at the start, and when we got the go signal I just took off, first up the hill, and first through the barriers, now I knew I couldn't keep up that kinda pace, so a few guys got past me, and I just let them go and sat in for whatever place I would end up in. I was able to keep with a group of 3 guys for a couple laps, but for the most part I rode the race alone, not knowing what place I was in, and not really caring. Every lap just seemed to fly by as they were long laps, but it was a fast course. I come around with 3 to go, and was just thinking to myself that I hope I don't get lapped. I had no idea where the leaders were, or who they were, I just knew I had to keep going. Now with 2 laps to go, I kinda knew I wasn't getting lapped, but also knew I couldn't give up any as there were a couple guys behind me. One lap to go and I just gave it all I had to try and catch the 2 guys in front of me, I could feel myself closing in on them, but just could never make it up to their wheels. Came across the line without getting lapped which is a good feeling.

I ended up in 15th out of 34 starters, 31 finishers, so again in the top half, now just need a couple more top 10's and I will think about upgrading. All in due time though, I know I can't hang with some of those Cat 3 guys, they are way fast.

Here is a video I threw together http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lD3ho7SY1DU

Iowa State Cross Championship

No comments: