Sunday, April 26, 2009

Old Capitol Crit

Decisions, Decisions. That is what last night was all about, should I wake up and see what the weather is going to bring and race, or have another Guinness and sleep the morning away. Well the need to race got the better of me and up at 7:00 to see what the radar showed, and it looked clear for at least the next few hours. So packed up the car and off to Iowa City we went. Just after we got there and registered the skies opened up and the rain started, a quick check of the weather and it showed a passing shower, and within 10 minutes it had stopped. But would make for an interesting race now.

Got lined up and was in the second row, with the rain still making the roads wet we were cautioned by the officials that we should take it easy for the first lap till we get a feel for how to safely take the 90 degree corner at the bottom of the hill. First lap safely through it and start to climb the hill on the other side back up, was in the back end of the main field, but that was a good spot to be at this point, wasn't last so if the front group went I would be able to stay on. 2nd lap and was in the same place up the hill, and then on the 3rd lap it happened. Going down the hill a guy in about 10th place or so took the inside line, went down and took 3 others with him, but I was behind them and almost had to stop to get around them. By this time the main field was gone and I did my best to try and get back on but that wasn't happening. I worked my way back up to a group on the road of 3 guys and one of them happened to be a teammate, so we were able to work together for a little bit. By the 10th lap we had the follow motorcycle come up and tell us we are about to get lapped and if we could stay off to the side and let them go by. So we did that and were able to jump on the back of the group for a little bit, but just when we did they were going for a preme, so that strung them out and shot us off the back. I got off a few times, and got back on. By the time it was almost over we would end up getting lapped again with 2 to go, so one last time around. I tried teh best I could to hang on again, but was falling off fast. So I just made my way back to teh finish line to cross in 20th place.




Old Capitol Crit

No comments: