Saturday, October 25, 2008

Spooky Cross Day 1

Another weekend of racing, this time back to Des Moines for the first of 2 races at Living History Farms in Urbandale. Another Cat 3/4 race, and usually the Des Moines area races have more people attend than the Quad Cities ones.

This weekend would be no different as there was 37 of us at the line. I was off pre-riding a short section a few minutes before they lined everyone up, so I go a horrible starting position, 2nd to last row, so some work would have to be done to make up ground. The ref says go and the front line moves, but we are still standing there, not good, so I get clipped in as soon as there is movement in front of me. Chris Reed (HBA Racing) was in the row right next to me, so he jumped on my wheel and we were weaving in and out trying to get closer to the front in the first section leading up to the barriers, I think we got into the top 15 or so guys, which would prove to be good going into the next section which was really sloppy mud. At the end of that section was a drop-off to the road, and one guy about 3 spots in front of me must have been leaning forward because his front wheel dug in and he was over the bars. Then it winds down a double track trail and comes to the base of a climb, now there is no real barrier here to make it a run up, there are a few 2x4's they put across the width of it, but it was still rideable, and since I suck at running and this was a pretty long hill I decided to try and climb it. That proved to be very successful for me, and even though I didn't make up much time, I didn't really lose any time either. A couple laps go by, and I am sitting in a good spot with 2 other guys right around me, so I could try and pick them off, or just keep going at the same pace I had been, and see how it pans out. I come around with 2 laps to go and get through the first section, when I hear a cowbell, not knowing if that if from a spectator, or the ref, I glance back when I go by the start/finish line to see that it was down to 1 lap now, which meant I would probably be getting lapped. I just kept pushing it as hard as I could, keeping those same 2 guys in a reasonable distance, and at the top of the climb I got lapped. Now knowing that I was done after that lap I decided to go for it on the last road section leading up to the barriers towards the end, so I get it up in the big ring, fly past one of the guys, and get over the barriers, catch the other guy and never look back.

Came across the line, and waited around to see Chris finish since he didn't get lapped. Go back to the car and get all cleaned up and wonder over to registration to check the results, Chris ended up in 14th, and me in 15th out of 37 riders. Another good showing from the HBA Team this cross season. Tomorrow will bring some cooler temps, and some strong winds, should make for an interesting race.


Spooky Cross day 1

No comments: