Sunday, June 22, 2008

Johnston Green Days Crit

Self proclaimed as the safest crit in Iowa, well unless it is raining and I am racing. The course is .7 miles with 2 180 degree corners on each end. Started out on the front line, and there was a break of 2 riders, and we just let them go, knowing we would catch them eventually, and by about lap 3 we had them back into the pack and then the fun of taking pulls started, it seemed nobody wanted to be on the front going into the headwind, so we would take turns for the most part. About lap 5 was the first prem and I was set up 3rd wheel coming into the corner at that end of the course and it was about a 100 yards to the line from there, came out of the corner and shot around the other 2 guys to take that one pretty much uncontested. 3 laps later there was another prem, and again I came into the corner about 3rd maybe 4th wheel, and another guy was going for it, I came around him just at the last little bit and beat him to the line with a throw of the bike by about 4 inches. Sat in to recover for the next few laps in about 5th place, ended up getting rid of the glasses because by that time it was raining, and spots on the glasses aren't any good, so another prem comes up with 4 laps to go and I was gonna go for that one as well, make it 3 for 3, but I went into the corner a little to fast and the back wheel came out faster than I could react and I was on the ground, got up as fast as I could and kinda checked for damage and tried to get back on, but by then the group was gone, and I was just gonna have to ride the last 3 laps solo, and try and pick up guys as I went. Picked off a few and ended up in 11th place out of 21, so overall not too bad, but would have liked to see how I would have done if I didn't crash. Next time I will make sure to not worry about the prems and go for the good finish, but I was getting greedy and that got the best of me. Only a little scrape on the left leg, nothing serious, but more of a hurt ego since this race was to determine if I was ready to upgrade to a Cat 4, and I didn't get the results I wanted due to a stupid move on my part. Pics will be up later tonight.

No comments: